The holidays are full of opportunities to extend a little bit of help to someone in need, and in many ways, these opportunities are like a gift we give ourselves.
At Roscoe, our team members enjoy their participation in efforts like Coat Angels, Angel Tree, and the work of Chicago area food banks, children’s hospitals, and other charitable organizations so much, it can be hard to think of it as “giving.” It’s a gift.
The reaction of disadvantaged children receiving coats, hats, scarves, and gloves chosen just for them is an experience so moving that once you decide to help, you’ll be back year after year, doing your part to make sure that there are no children in Chicago still going to school in the winter without the benefit of a good coat – let alone the collection of other trappings the rest of us use to make it through a Chi-town winter.
New Winter Wear Brings Comfort and Joy to Students
Coat Angels was born in 2006 when a group of friends decided that instead of giving gifts, they would use their money to help those in need. A teacher friend asked for coats for her fifth-grade class, many of whom were coming to school in the winter months without them.
The program started with 20 children and has expanded to serve 4,000 in the Chicago area. Each child receives a new coat, fleece, pullover, hat, and gloves. The volunteer organization buys the coats in a variety of colors and styles. Many of these children wear hand-me-down clothes and for some, it is the first time they have something specifically bought for them in their favorite color.
Many Ways to Give Back to the Community
Of course, this is just one of the many community efforts that allow us to give back to the community.
If you’d like to join us, here are a few other local programs we can recommend:
- The Angel Tree program, which gathers wish lists from the children of incarcerated parents and then provides them with a gift from the parent who is unable to shop for them.
- Sarah’s Circle serves homeless or at-risk women with food, clothing, and shelter.
- United Way provides funding for charitable organizations that provide such services as healthcare, education and income services.
- Northern Illinois Food Bank provides food for those in need.
- The Food Depository distributes donated or purchased food to soup kitchens, shelters and community reach programs.
- Lurie Children’s Hospital is a pediatric specialty hospital based in the Chicago area.
Thankful for Our Customers Who Make It All Possible
In business since 1921, our success has given us the privilege to be able to help others in our amazing community. Of course, it is our Roscoe customers who really make it possible, and they are some of the hardest working people in the Chicago Area. We couldn’t be more grateful to all of you.
Contact us to learn more about our work uniform rental services