In 2012, the Textiles Rental Services Association (TRSA) launched an initiative called the Clean Green Certification Program. Shortly thereafter, we became the first industrial launderer to become Clean Green Certified and we are still the only uniform rental supplier in Chicago to be certified following our re-certification.
Clean Green Certification Process
Every year, we go through the Clean Green Certification audit process. It begins with a self audit, which includes calculating consumption of natural gas and electricity compared to the number of pounds we produce and being under that Clean Green baseline. We also get credit for adhering to the other Clean Green best practices (below). The retrofitting of our plant six years ago to become one of the most energy efficient laundry systems in the country and one of the smallest footprints.
Clean Green Certification Criteria
From the source: “TRSA Clean Green Certification recognizes companies that demonstrate responsible leadership in sustainability and conservation to protect the environment. The program acknowledges a textile service company’s continuing commitment to improving efficiencies in water and energy conservation and adoption of best management practices for reusing, reclaiming and recycling resources.”
Best Management Practices:
- Direct-fired Hot Water Heating System
- Wastewater Heat Recovery
- Energy Efficient Low Temperature Detergents
- Wastewater Pre-Treatment, Mechanical Solids Removal
- Wastewater Pre-Treatment, Advanced Treatment Technologies
- Energy Efficient Lighting and/or Skylights
- Energy audit
- Alternative Energy
- Recycling Programs
- Fleet Vehicle Route Optimization
- Spill Prevention Plan or Slug Discharge Control Plan
- Preventative Boiler or Direct-fired Hot Water Heating System Maintenance
- Fleet Vehicles and Alternative Fuels
Read more about Clean Green Certification criteria here.