Roscoe is currently recertifying for OSHA’s Safety & Health Achievement Recognition Program (SHARP).
SHARP is designed for businesses with less than 250 employees who have dedicated themselves to enacting an exemplary injury and illness prevention program.
While SHARP certification is not a requirement for Roscoe to conduct business, we take pride in maintaining a safe and secure environment for our employees so they can be happy, productive and provide the highest quality of service to our work uniform rental customers
What Are the Benefits of SHARP for Employers?
Organizations with a well-managed and effective safety and health program require less government oversight. Worksites that receive SHARP recognition are exempt from OSHA General Schedule Inspections for up to two years, and subsequent renewal for up to three years
However, the greatest benefits are realized by the company’s employees. In addition to improving the safety and health of our workers, our SHARP certification will also reduce workers’ compensation premiums. SHARP is considered by the textile rental industry to be a special achievement and the highest level of worksite safety and health.
SHARP Certification Requirements
SHARP certification is handled by each state’s OSHA program. In our home state of Illinois, we are required to:
- Undergo a comprehensive safety and health consultation visit and to address findings
- Implement an OSHA-approved safety and health management system
- Maintain our Days Away, Restricted, or Transferred (DART) rate and Total Recordable Case (TRC) rate below the national average for our industry
- Agree to notify Illinois OSHA of any changes in working conditions or new hazards in the workplace
The SHARP Consultation & Findings Resolution Process
Here is the process for achieving the first step above (we are already in compliance with the other three requirements):
- First OSHA Inspection: an OSHA inspector did a walk-through of our production plant in May and reported a few minor findings
- Resolution of Initial Findings: we have addressed two-thirds of the findings and expect to be completed by the end of August
- Second OSHA Inspection: the OSHA inspector will return to review whether each finding has been fully resolved and if any new findings are discovered; we expect this to happen in September
- Resolution of Remaining Findings: if necessary
- Final OSHA Inspection: if necessary
We expect to be SHARP certified by the end of 2017. Once complete, Roscoe will be proud to be one of only 34 employers in the State of Illinois that meets all qualifications for the SHARP Program.
Contact us to learn more about work uniform rental SHARP certification