There are many variables in the workplace out of your control, unfortunately, fires and explosions are included in that category. It is estimated that each year in the U.S., fires and explosions kill an estimated 200 workers and injure more than 5,000 others; or 3% of all Fatal Occupational Injuries. That amounts to over $2 billion in property damage costs to businesses. The human and financial toll can wreak havoc to a workplace.
Fortunately, there are steps employers can take to help safeguard their employees and their businesses against such a disaster. First, under the NFPA 70E (National Fire Protection Association) Standard, OSHA requires that all personnel who install, operate or are in charge of the maintenance of electric supply, communication lines and associated equipment be outfitted in garments that are flame-resistant. Flame-resistant fabrics and garments resist ignition and self-extinguish if ignited. Once the ignition source is removed, flame-resistant apparel self-extinguish almost immediately.
OSHA also says it is the employer’s responsibility to identify risks and hazards in the workplace and act accordingly. If the proper form of action is outfitting your employees in the appropriate protective garments, a uniform company can help. As a leading Chicago uniform company, Roscoe offers flame-resistant apparel and enhanced visibility flame-resistant garments.
While, FR garments will protect your workers who are exposed to fire or electrical hazards, it is important to reduce the chance for a fire to even ignite in your workplace. Here are some prevention tips:
- At least two fire exit doors that are free of obstructions and marked with the appropriate signs
- Availability and training in the use of portable fire extinguishers (to fight small fires)
- Emergency action plan that assigns responsibilities, alerts all employees and designates evacuation routes and procedures
- Good housekeeping – keep work area free of trash, place flammable material away from ignition sources, clean up spills and liquids immediately, store chemicals properly, make sure cords and plugs are in good condition and that electrical circuits aren’t overloaded
- Conducting fire safety and evacuation drills
The most important is that everyone is involved and proactive in preventing workplace fires.
Let’s continue to keep our workplaces and employees safe. This Chicago work uniform rental company is proud to enhance your business and protect your employees with the proper apparel.
Contact us to learn more about Roscoe: The Chicago Work Uniform Rental Company