After a three-day weekend capped by Labor Day festivities, September 4 seems like an inconsequential date. But, September 4 actually kicks off Hunger Action Month in an effort to bring greater attention to the issue of hunger in America. By “turning orange” in some way today, in attire or on social media, you are showing your support for hunger-relief and playing a role in getting food to those in need.
Study Uncovers Key Findings About the Demographics of Clients Utilizing Food Banks
The need is great too – 1 in 6 people in the United Sates are at a risk of hunger and over 46 million people utilize feeding programs across the nation. In a study done by Feeding America that is completed every four years some key findings were uncovered:
- Low wages, underemployment and unemployment may drive need for food assistance
- 72% live at or below the poverty line with the median monthly household income of clients at $927
- Many (1 in 4) are educated beyond high school while many adult clients are currently enrolled in school
- 20% of households have at least one member that has ever served in the military, while 4% of households have at least one member who is currently serving
- Many face significant health challenges, including high blood pressure (58%) and diabetes (33%)
- 79% purchase the cheapest food available, knowing it isn’t the healthiest option, to provide enough for their household
- Households are frequently faced with difficult decisions often putting them in a position of choosing between competing necessities like: utilities (69%), transportation (67%), medical care (66%), housing (57%) and education (31%)
There are 46,000 agencies in the Feeding America network that operate 58,000 food programs working hard to provide a basic necessity for the neighbors all around us. The Chicago uniform company is dedicated to community service and giving back in any way we can. Therefore, we have chosen two non-profits in our area and have donated in an effort to help alleviate the pressure many of these families face.
The Mat Company Donates to Two Local Food Depository Charities
The Greater Chicago Food Depository serves 800,000 people in Cook County that are faced with food insecurity. The Northern Illinois Food Bank serves 600,000 people each year and more than 71,000 people each week. If you feel this cause is close to your heart and would also like to donate or volunteer at either of these local food depositories visit the links above to find out more. If you would like to donate to a national organization, Feeding America is the nation’s leading domestic hunger-relief charity. You can feel confident in donating because all three of these charities received a 4 out of 4 rating from Charity Navigator, America’s premier independent charity evaluator, meaning that the majority of the charity’s budget is spent on the programs and services it delivers.
Together with the mat company, show your support for hunger-relief and truly help America be the land of the plenty.