On behalf of LifeSource and the patients who are the ultimate beneficiaries, we’d like to express thanks to everyone who donated or attempted to donate to help others during our recent blood drive.
Your generosity will help people in need, including cancer patients, critically ill newborns, burn patients, accident victims, transplant patients, and many more who require blood products. It takes people like us to make blood drives successful and your time and commitment was appreciated and did not go unnoticed. Due to our efforts, LifeSource was able to collect 12 blood products.
The Need for Blood
Every two seconds, someone needs blood. Blood is needed daily for surgeries and medical procedures. Every time you donate blood you can save the lives of 3 people. A few other facts about blood needs in the US, courtesy of the American Red Cross:
- Approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day
- Nearly 7,000 units of platelets and 10,000 units of plasma are needed daily
- Nearly 21 million blood components are transfused each year
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is type O
- The blood used in an emergency is already on the shelves before the event occurs
- It is estimated that sickle cell disease affects 90,000 to 100,000 people, about 1,000 babies are born with the disease each year, and these patients can require frequent blood transfusions throughout their lives
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood
LifeSource & How You Can Help
LifeSource holds thousands of mobile blood drives each year throughout the Chicagoland area, many with local corporations and organizations like Roscoe. These drives play a vital role in the delivery of healthcare in our region and are responsible for supporting tens of thousands of lives each year.
You can help the community blood supply by hosting a mobile blood drive at your place of work or worship, at a community center or school. LifeSource Account Managers will walk you through the very simple process: they only require a room at your facility or a location to park their donor coach, some tables and chairs, and a team of two or more to help recruit donors.
Every day is a good day to give blood: 1,000 blood drives are needed every year to keep up with the demand in Chicago. If you’d like to donate blood yourself or set up a blood drive, contact LifeSource today and be sure to review their donor preparation instructions.